With Mitel, it’s about the relationship. We are a leading and trusted provider of voice, video, and collaborative communications. But it is our focus on delivering value to the end user with tailored, innovative solutions that distinguishes us from our competitors.
Mitel, founded in 1973, operates in over 90 countries, offering easy access to our sales and service organization via our network of over 100 offices, which support over 1,500 value-added resellers and partners. Our entrepreneurial heritage, built upon agility and flexibility in the way we serve our customers, has continued over the company’s history from the introduction of the first private branch exchange in 1978 to our many innovations in IP communications. Our innovation has propelled us into a leadership position as the telecommunications industry shifts from legacy technology to IP-based systems. Mitel is also recognized as a leader and innovator by independent industry analysts. To-date, we have filed over 700 patents covering over 300 inventions.
Mitel Communications Director (MCD) Platform
Mitel Communications Director (MCD) can be deployed in just about any environment, working with (rather than replacing) existing processes and systems to enhance them with the latest IP solutions and features. This attribute protects your legacy investment and also prepares existing systems for future growth.
MCD software provides a communications system that operates with flexibility, ease, and reliability. It runs on a choice of platforms, such as proprietary Mitel 3300 ICP controllers or industry standard HP, IBM, Oracle, and Dell servers, widening the scope of businesses and enterprises that will benefit from Mitel's call control software. It can be deployed in a centralized, distributed, or hosted configuration, and provides the reliability expected by the most stringent business requirements.
MCD integrates with Mitel’s desktop portfolio and suite of unified communications applications to drive productivity, enhance customer service and reduce costs.
Mitel leads the market in voice virtualization with our tight partnership with VMware, which has resulted in the development of MCD in a virtual environment. Our highly acclaimed Virtual MCD solution runs as a virtual appliance on the VMware vSphere 4 virtualization platform alongside other business applications and has the most complete support for VMware vCenter advanced management tools. Virtual MCD offers the same advanced MCD functions and capabilities and is treated like any other virtualized application in the data center.
Whether a company has five users or 65,000, MCD brings powerful call handling, a profusion of features, simple management and flexible deployment options.
Among MCD’s embedded features are leading-edge mobility capabilities and standard unified messaging. Mitel Dynamic Extension establishes a single identity for users communicating internally or externally. It works with any device (desk phone, cellular, remote office, home phone) and extends the corporate system to any location on any network. This improves the accessibility of the user, reduces costs, and ensures first-call resolution.
MCD also includes inherent auto attendant, automatic call distribution, Wi-Fi support, and IP-DECT wireless phones. These combined with over 500 telephony features such as hot desking and audio conferencing enrich the user experience and invigorate existing processes.
In distributed environments, MCD works over IP or traditional telephony networks to provide a virtual single system.
MCD also provides support for networking standards such as SIP, QSIG and DPNSS, which facilitate interconnection with third-party PBXs and applications.
The Mitel 3300 ICP MXe III Controller is available in two capacities: standard and expanded. The Standard Controller supports up to 300 IP devices or 350 ONS devices (or a combined total of 350 IP/ONS devices). The Expanded Controller supports 1,400 IP devices or 1,500 ONS devices (or a combined total of 1,500 IP/ONS devices). Both versions include an embedded Analog Main Board and redundant cooling fans.
MXe III Controller Front Panel
The MXe III Controller provides
- two 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN ports (RJ-45 connector)
- one 10/100Base-T Ethernet WAN port (RJ-45 connector)
- four externally accessible slots and two internal slots for optional modules
- four CIM ports
- an AMB that provides six analog trunks and four analog extension ports
- an alarm relay port
- SATA solid state drive or hard drive for software storage
MXe III Controller Rear Panel – Single Hard Drive
- MXe II Expanded Processor Package to upgrade from standard capacity (350 devices and 64 E2T channels) to expanded capacity (1,500 devices and 128 or 192 E2T channels)
- two quad DSP modules for G.729a compression
- two octal DSP II modules for G.729a compression and T.38 fax support
· up to four dual FIMs for connecting NSUs, peripheral units, and bays
- up to four dual T1/E1 modules
- up to three T1/E1 combo modules
- up to three quad BRI modules
- power and disk drive redundancy with the addition of a RAID controller, a second hard disk, and a second AC PSU
MXe III Controller Rear Panel - Single Hard Drive
3300 CX II/CXi II
The CX II/CXi II ships with an embedded Analog Main Board (AMB) that supports six analog trunks with CLASS support and four analog extension ports. It includes the required digital signal processing (DSP) in the base configuration. Cards and DSP resources are needed for additional functionality only, not for performance scaling.
The CX II and CXi II Controllers support up to 150 IP devices, or a combined total of 150 IP/ONS devices.
It comprises the following components:
AMB provides six Loop Start (LS) trunk ports with CLASS support (CLASS is available in North America and Latin American only. We support ETSI CLASS for other applicable regions), four on-premises station (ONS) ports, a single Music on Hold port (one source supported), a single paging port, and two System Fail Transfer circuits
- Analog Open Board (AOB) provides six LS trunk ports with CLASS support, four ONS ports, one System Fail Transfer (SFT) circuit and one paging circuit
- one 10/100Base-T WAN port (RJ-45 connector)
- one 10/100/1000Base-T LAN port (RJ-45 connector)
- sixteen 10/100Base-T LAN ports connected to an internal Ethernet Layer 2 (L2) switch (CXi II Controller only). Embedded 16-port L2 Power over Ethernet (POE) switch on the CXi II.
- SATA solid state drive or SATA hard drive for software storage
Optionally you can also install-
- one DSP II module for fax relay (T.38) and compression. The dual DSP is only for telephony services such as DTMF signaling detection. Compression is by way of the DSP II only.
- one or two T1/E1 combo modules for digital trunking
- a quad copper interface module (CIM) supporting up to three Analog Service Unit IIs (ASU IIs)
MCD has more than 500 features. Below is just a sample.
Mitel Dynamic Extension is an embedded feature of the MCD platform. It provides seamless converged mobility across the entire organization. Users can work anywhere in the world without limits on device, network or location.
Without the need for client software or additional server hardware, Dynamic Extension will enable your mobile workforce to do the following tasks:
- PRGset any number as a hot desk contact point
- use any device on any network and still be recognized as part of the internal MCD system
- access all the attributes and features of a desk phone
- make long-distance calls over the corporate network
- make and receive calls on up to eight numbers/devices (including SIP Wi-Fi clients) each as part of a Personal Ring Group (PRG) while still presenting a single identity to callers
- maintain real-time presence and availability
- push or pull calls between devices in a PRG without interrupting the conversation
Dynamic Extension works with any device that has a phone number, including personal phones. Employees can use a mobile or fixed device.
You no longer need to standardize devices or purchase and maintain mobile phones; business calls from mobile devices can be routed through the business PBX and billed to the company. It does not require complicated SMDR records, and leaves personal calls as the responsibility of the user, not the company.
Dynamic Extension also provides users with one centralized mailbox to store all voice messages. This not only simplifies message management, but also eliminates the expense of multiple voice mail services.
For users with multiple devices, such as a mobile phone, desk phone and softphone, Mitel offers a single-license option (including Dynamic Extension) for the user’s entire group of internal and external phones.
Embedded within MCD is a standard automated attendant function that allows an external caller to dial through to an extension without going through a live attendant.
With this application, the attendant provides callers with the following options:
place a call to a number in the corporate directory
- transfer to a department or person specified in the auto attendant voice prompts
- select multilevel options in response to cascading voice prompts to reach a particular department (e.g., “Press 1 for Recreation” then “Press 5 for Aquatics”)
The embedded automated attendant can be programmed to play different greetings during open and closed business hours. After-hours callers reach a company directory that allows them to enter either an extension number or choose from a single-digit option.
MCD provides fully integrated Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) functionality that includes call distribution, agent mobility, feature configuration, administration and recorded announcements. The integrated ACD functionality of MCD is enhanced by the Mitel Customer Service Manager suite of applications, which optimizes contact center efficiency.
Hot desking lets users share IP phones. Users can log onto any hot desk-enabled Mitel IP phone within a defined cluster of MCD platforms, regardless of location. For example, a user with a New York home office can travel to a Chicago office and log in to a hot desk-enabled phone, and use that phone to conduct business from Chicago as though the user was still in New York. Personal settings and the voice mailbox become available when the user logs in. Hot desking includes password protection for personal security.
Call Reporting & Cost Management
MCD includes a highly flexible Station Message Detail Reporting (SMDR) data collection capability. It gathers data for outgoing and incoming trunk calls and internal station-to-station calls. It also allows extensive SMDR record format changes to accommodate items such as international ANI digit strings, attendant line appearances, or incomplete internal calls.
When used with an external call accounting system, such as the optional Mitel Call Accounting software package, users can effectively manage telephone activities and expenses as well as track telephone system costs and summarize them in reports.
MCD offers from 11,000 (default) to 40,000 account codes.
Night Service Indication
The feature access key informs users which mode the system is in. The phone’s key appearance is lit if the system is in Night Service, and off if it is in Day Service. If the key is lit, the telephone display informs the user whether the system is in Night Service 1 or Night Service 2.
Using voice mail as a recorder, this feature allows subscribers to discreetly record a live conversation between themselves and another party, and save the message in voice mail. Recorded calls can be replayed to ensure accurate information was derived from the conversation or to monitor harassment.
The MCD system supports a robust set of remote diagnostic commands through an HTTPS-based system administration interface, a Telnet CLI interface, or locally through the console port. MCD also maintains error and event maintenance logs that can be viewed remotely or retrieved to assist in problem diagnosis.
Mitel System Management
Mitel provides simple, browser-based administration for single systems as well as comprehensive browser-based management and configuration tools for large deployments.
Our Embedded Systems Manager (ESM), included with MCD, can be used to administer single system configurations. MCD will enable [EndCustFull] to administer many aspects of up to 20 controllers via multi-node management (Add, Edit, Delete User, consolidated alarms, backups, single sign-on, etc.). We also include an installation wizard, which guides the user through an install in just minutes.
For larger or more complex system networks, Enterprise Manager is a sophisticated management solution that enables SNMP fault management, voice quality analysis, and more. Together with Mitel System Data Synchronization (SDS) capability, all sites in a network can be programmed from one template.
For large or more complex system networks, Mitel Enterprise Manager is a sophisticated optional management solution. Through a suite of management tools, it allows simple configuration, control and management of Mitel’s enterprise products. This simplifies network administration and enables administrators to monitor and manage network health effectively, maintain superior voice quality, and resolve problems rapidly.
Administration of multiple sites and systems is accomplished from a single interface. This, in turn, increases staff productivity by minimizing repetitive tasks and automating standard processes. As a result, business and maintenance costs are reduced.
For monitoring network health, the alarm management capability of Enterprise Manager details SNMP alarm information for managed systems. Details include a history of the fault, the time the alarm was created, and the severity of the alarm. An administrator can monitor alarms without even needing to be logged into Enterprise Manager; a desktop alarm application appears in the notification area of the Microsoft Windows desktop instead. An administrator can acknowledge the alarm so other solution maintainers know it is being dealt with, and add notes to the alarm history to improve the productivity of solution maintainers who investigate the alarm later. Enterprise Manager can selectively e-mail notifications to one or more system administrators or remote service companies based on alarm filter rules and escalation policies that can be scheduled permanently, or for specific periods like weekends.
Voice Quality Manager
The Voice Quality Manager, another application within Enterprise Manager, enables continuous monitoring of IP voice quality throughout the network. Mitel IP desktop devices can report on network quality at the end of calls and at intermediate intervals during longer calls to quickly determine when and where problems occur. This enables the network administrator to resolve network voice quality issues before they become widespread, saving time and maximizing voice application performance. As well, administrators can generate voice quality reports on demand, enabling them to resolve issues before they become widespread. This not only saves time, but also maximizes voice application performance.
Enterprise Manager automatically discovers and stores the network inventory of Mitel voice and application platforms and presents them on the management desktop. The management desktop provides a summary of the solution health so the administrator can easily view the health status. The graphical map of Mitel products and associated data equipment provides an easy-to-view solution topology that helps speed up system administration.
Enterprise Manager offers a report generation option to reduce administrative workload in preparing a wide variety of integrated tabular and graphical reports on system inventory data, alarms, events, and voice quality statistical data. Report criteria can be customized as required and reports can be set up to run on a scheduled basis or launched in a context-sensitive manner for on-demand reporting. Voice quality reports can reveal trends in network performance, allowing for corrective action prior to impacting user desktops.
Enterprise Manager Applications are also used to automate many repetitive tasks such as audio file management, upgrades, backups, network time synchronization, daylight savings, centralized call record collection, and individual platform night service setting. Enterprise Manager diagnostics enable the administrator to troubleshoot network problems remotely using Mitel IP desktop devices as diagnostic end points to isolate problems from the user’s perspective in the network. This resolves issues faster without needing to be on site.
Phones and Communication Appliances
5330 IP Desktop Telephone
This full-featured enterprise-class IP phone provides a large backlit graphics display with 24 programmable self-labeling keys, superior wideband audio and a built-in HTML toolkit for desktop applications development. Desktop applications including Mitel Unified Communicator (UC) Express, Mitel Unified Communicator (UC) Advanced and Mitel Intelligent Directory increase worker productivity by providing tighter integration between desktop devices and tools used by enterprise and small business knowledge workers. It is ideal for enterprise executives, managers and employees and can be used as an ACD agent, as a supervisor phone, or as a teleworker phone.
large graphics display (160 x 320) with auto dimming
- 24 programmable, multi-function self-labeling keys provided in three pages of eight keys each (for speed dialing, line appearances, feature access)
- integrates with 12-button and 48-button IP programmable key modules (PKMs) for easy addition of quick access feature keys
- wideband audio support – ships with a wideband handset (7 kz) standard
- peripherals and modules support: line interface module, IP conference unit, wireless LAN stand, gigabit Ethernet stand
- HTML Desktop Toolkit included for applications development
- 12 fixed function keys: Hold, Settings, Message, Speaker, Mute, Transfer/Conference, Redial, Cancel, Volume/Ringing/Contrast Up & Down, Previous Page, Next Page
- three context-sensitive softkeys for intuitive feature access
- hands-free speakerphone operation (full duplex)
- browser-based Desktop User Tool for easy user programming and key labeling
- voice mail access – large message waiting lamp
- icon button labeling for global markets
- language support: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch
- hearing-aid-compatible (HAC) handset (meets American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements) and HAC compliance for magnetic coupling to approved HAC hearing aids
- secure voice communication enabled by encryption
- supports Teleworker ACD and hot desking
- support for 5300 Integrated Office Companion and 5300 Intelligent Directory Applications
IP Phone Accessories
Gigabit Ethernet Stand
The Mitel Gigabit Ethernet Stand enables Mitel 5300 series IP phones to operate in a 10/100/1000 Mbs Ethernet LAN environment. This allows an IP phone to provide a gigabit connection from the network to the desktop.
Attaching to the base of the phone, the stand provides three ports:
· a gigabit Ethernet LAN port (to connect to the gigabit switch)
· a port that allows a gigabit Ethernet-equipped PC to connect to the LAN via the stand
· a 10/100 Mb Ethernet connection to the attached phone
The gigabit Ethernet stand supports the IEEE 802.3af power over Ethernet standards, eliminating the need for a separate power supply for the IP phone.
Cordless Handset and Cordless Headset
The Mitel Cordless Handset and Mitel Cordless Headset offer unprecedented convenience and corridor mobility for Mitel 5330 and 5340 IP phone users. Users can communicate on their desk phone up to 300 feet (about 100 meters) from their desk.
Mitel Applications Suite (MAS)
Mitel Applications Suite
MAS AppsMitel Applications Suite (MAS) is a robust communications solution that unifies mission-critical applications on a cost-effective, easy-to-use platform. MAS minimizes installation and management costs because it consolidates multiple communication applications (see list below) on a single server with common installation, commissioning, and administration tools
unified communications and collaboration
- unified messaging
- audio, video and web conferencing
- presence and availability information
- speech-enabled auto attendant
- informal contact center functionality
- business reporting
By residing on a single server, MAS drastically cuts power consumption, reduces maintenance costs and requires less rack space. Time and effort are also saved with a single installation of all applications, an integrated initial system configuration wizard, and a simplified browser-based administration interface. As well, for everyday use, a browser-based user portal provides access to the applications.
Through integration with MCD, MAS delivers call control, extensive features and support for a wide range of innovative desktop devices and applications.
NuPoint Unified Messaging
From basic voice mail to advanced unified messaging, NuPoint Unified Messaging (UM) is a reliable, cost-effective messaging application that satisfies the diverse needs of an entire user population.
As part of the MAS suite, NuPoint UM enables users to access their voice mails remotely through their existing e-mail clients (Lotus Notes, Novell GroupWise, or Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007) or telephony user interface (TUI). NuPoint UM also enables access to voice messages from the desktop by e-mail client or web browser.
NuPoint UM offers many benefits to MAS users, including the following:
advanced unified messaging and text-to-speech e-mail reading allows users to manage voice mail, e-mails and faxes from desk phone, mobile device or PC
- improves customer service levels while speech auto-attendant offloads the company receptionist from routine calls
- personal call routing options, such as Find Me/Follow Me and the ability to create schedules and caller ID filtering, empower users to control how and when calls reach them
Audio and Web Conferencing
Mitel Audio and Web Conferencing (AWC) on MAS is a cost-effective, scalable solution that connects people quickly and easily, regardless of their location. When part of MAS, AWC not only provides all the same features as its stand-alone version, but it also provides the simplicity of administration on a single server, decreases the server footprint, and combines with a rich set of Mitel’s advanced IP applications.
AWC brings together the benefits of a feature-rich audio conferencing solution with easy-to-use, intuitive web conferencing capabilities. These enable users to enhance a conference call or meeting through the use of shared documents, presentations, chat and desktop video.
With AWC, you can reduce costs, improve workgroup collaboration and increase employee productivity. AWC’s audio conferencing and web presentation capabilities facilitate better collaboration among internal and external employees, business partners and customers. The browser-based interface enables users to rapidly schedule and conduct conference calls and share documents with any participant. Recording and publishing options extend the conference beyond the initial meeting.
AWC on MAS also includes the following features:
high-quality audio and video for better collaboration among internal and external employees, business partners and customers
- quick and easy conference call scheduling and conduct with shared documents, presentations, chat and video
- complete call control and management directly from the desktop
- comprehensive call detail records for bookkeeping and billing purposes
- the most cost-effective group calling
- web-based collaboration tools designed for sharing desktops and individual applications
- support for an unlimited number of conferencing hosts
- no special event connection costs, and no expensive add-ons
Mitel Border Gateway
The Mitel Border Gateway (MBG) solution securely enables remote employees to work and collaborate productively by having a complete in-office unified communications experience without being physically in the office. To ensure the deployment of secure internal and external workspaces, MBG provides comprehensive threat protection, strict access control, and privacy. It can be installed either on a Mitel Applications Suite (MAS) server or a separate server residing on the corporate network edge. A reliable, secure platform, MBG accommodates multiple network connectivity services in a number of network edge scenarios:
Teleworker Service is a secure plug-and-play solution for remote workers.
- SIP Trunk Proxy Service services a SIP-aware firewall at the edge of the company network, which eliminates the need for third-party firewalls. This also simplifies configuration and deployment.
- Application Web Proxy Service enables trusted connectivity between the company LAN and the public Internet. This establishes secure access for unified communication and collaboration via MAS.
- Secure Recording Connector (SRC) is a software solution that facilitates the recording of Mitel encrypted voice streams by third-party call recording equipment (CRE).
Applications and Solutions
Unified Communicator Advanced
Mitel Unified Communicator (UC) Advanced (and Virtual UC Advanced) is Mitel's award-winning unified communications client. It integrates presence and availability, secure instant messaging, audio conferencing and web and video collaboration with the call control capabilities of MCD. UC Advanced also integrates with leading business productivity tools like Microsoft Exchange, Outlook and Office as well as IBM Lotus Notes.
Mitel Unified Communicator Advanced brings UC components together into a single, easy-to-manage interface:
secure instant messaging (IM) and chat
- voice mail integration (with Mitel NuPoint Unified Messaging)
- visual access to voice mail and unified messaging, including the ability to call, instant message, e-mail, or conference based on messages received
- audio, video, or web collaboration launch from the UC Advanced window
- point-to-point video
- knowledge management, which provides easy access to caller information
- presence capability for IM or video, and phone presence capability based on MCD’s Dynamic Extension and Personal Ring Group capabilities
UC Advanced Mobile Applications
UC Advanced Mobile installs as a client on supported BlackBerry, Android, and iPhone/iPad devices. It provides mobile users with the following key UC Advanced capabilities: search corporate directory, check visual voice mail, and automatically update presence status and call routing preferences based on time or location.
We provide a licensing structure that preserves efficiency and economy in today’s mobility culture. Should any user change devices, we enable you to easily re-license the application without having to purchase a new license for the device. Licenses can also be moved around within the organization and shared between users with different devices. This means only one user would be licensed for the application at any given time.
UC Advanced Mobile for BlackBerry is a stand-alone client that users install on their RIM BlackBerry (version 1.5 and up) smartphone. The client provides automatic Dynamic Status updates based on the user's current location. Location-based presence options integrate with GPS and Bluetooth. The BlackBerry mobile client features are limited to call logs, messages, corporate contacts, and OfficeLink calling capabilities.
UC Advanced Mobile for Android is a client application specifically for Google Android (version 1.6 and up) devices. It allows users to change their UC Advanced Dynamic Status directly from their Android devices. They can also retrieve voice mails, view their call history and search corporate contacts.
Users can download the UC Advanced Mobile for Android application directly from the Android Market. The software is free, but requires a UC Mobile for Android license on your UC Advanced 4.0 Server.
UC Advanced Mobile for Android can be used either as a stand-alone application or in conjunction with UC Advanced for Windows.
iPhone & iPad
UC Advanced Mobile for iPad (iPhone inset) provides portable UC Advanced features.
UC Advanced Mobile for iPhone and iPad is a client application specifically for iPhone and iPad devices (iOS versions 4.2 and 4.3, respectively). It allows users to change their UC Advanced Dynamic Status directly from their iPhone or iPad. They can also retrieve voice mails, view their call history and search corporate contacts and their presence information.
Users can download the UC Advanced Mobile for iPhone and iPad application two ways: from iTunes on a Macintosh then synch to the mobile device, or from the App Store directly you’re the device through the user’s iTunes account.